Monday, February 8, 2010

#83: Planned Move to WordPress

Wow. Go a week without writing and a four post backlog can go away pretty quickly.

Anyway, like you shouldn't know, (because I didn't tell you [by the way, I need to learn how to do punctuation around parens correctly. I always feel like the comma or semicolon is going in the wrong place no matter where I put it. Like some words always feel like they're being spelled wrong {y'know, back when we actually wrote stuff on paper} or how some songs always feel like a note is missing or wrong], even though I was going to yesterday) I was planning to move the blog to Wordpress, based on the advice of a Mr. Greiner, or something, over at The Social Path, but more specifically, this post on how we should stop letting social media stress you out (I've essentially summarized it so you don't have to stop reading. And yes, I know I'm a prick [Who says this? Outside of the UK], but I'm kind of working on it).

Now, Mr. Griner usually does good work, in fact, almost always, so, as usual, the error is mine. I minsinterpreted his statement "So what if you're still using Blogger instead of WordPress?" to mean that I should move immediately to WordPress. So I tried. In fact, this blog now exists up to the last post on WordPress. But I couldn't use it. I found the website sterile and busy at the same time (Like if New York City was an operating room [which would be the fucking best] or if a subway at rush hour was like a clean room). Anyway, the point is, I couldn't find anything I wanted. I appreciated some features, like the built-in hitcounter, which would have rendered my whole hitcounter odyssey on this site completely unnecessary.
Or the Technocrati profile they gave me for free as well, which would have made this adventure completely superfluous. And they also gave me apps. Like a search bar for posts, so readers could look for posts on, say, cavemen or money or things movie villains should never do. (I miss hyperlinking. Can you tell? I did it so much in my HTML days back in 2005 or so. It was my favorite part of coding. But anyway. . .) The point is that . . . damn, I forgot where I was going. So . . . I'm just going to say that although . . . oh right, I remember now. But WordPress also had some bad stuff. Like making it absurdly difficult to look through layouts, even though they had like a thousand or some ridiculous number. Or the large fonts that made me feel blind(er).

But ok. WordPress wasn't for me. You may like it, but I didn't. So I'll stick with Blogger, even though it doesn't do some things, like all that stuff I wrote in the two paragraphs above. It's clear, and easy, and I get it. And I've been with it for more than two years, which is longer than I've known most of my Facebook friends, so I think we'll stay together. And that, I think, is what Mr. Griner's post was all about.

No comments: