Sunday, March 29, 2009

Conficker, Linux and Programming

I have never been a computer geek, despite what my friends may tell you, and the fact that I spend as much of my time on computers as I possibly can. To me, a true computer geek is someone who can dismantle a computer, install a new operating system, link hard drives to get the maximum operating power, debug their own computer, edit the system code, hack, know what Linux and Java are and be able to program in them, know why <--!nocomment!--> is funny, in short, all things that I cannot do (except that last one, which is funny because that is an HTML comment tag, or something approaching it). I barely know HTML, and the final insult to all of those computer geeks out there is that I just learned what Conficker was last week via the New York fucking Times!

Now some of you are probably out there going "This guy is called a computer geek? Man, he isn't even 1337! (totally stereotypical geekspeak, I know)" But it pains me as much as it pains you to have to share this title. I think of myself as rather cool (shut up, f*cking idiot friends) and to be called any type of geek is insulting to me. But this is all beside the point.

I want to be able to program in Java, write a program, fix my computer myself, crossover to Linux, and if I could, I could probably stand being called a geek. Sh*t, geeks are getting to be kind of cool now. Have you seen the size of some glasses out there?

So my point is this. I need someone out there to direct me to a website where I can get Linux. I Googled it (did you know that "google isn't really a verb?) and found this site, Linux.com, that redirected me to these other Linux sites and was a waste of time. So you Linux users out there (at least one of you must read this) where did you get your Linux from? And did you get it for free?

Because despite the fact that I am not a computer geek (and never will be), I want me some Linux.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ducky here for travian. If you are planning on getting linux, I would either try Ubuntu or Kubuntu (they are similar but are graphically different) Look them up on ubuntu.com or kubuntu.com respectively. What you will want to do is download or order the Live CD's. That way, you actually don't have to install the operating system on your computer to actually use them. All you have to do is boot up the OS off of the CD, and you can test the system before you actually install it. Hope this helps, send me a shout on Travian if you want any more info.