Saturday, June 28, 2008

101 Books I Think Everybody Should Read! Cut off at 32

This is a list I've been working on, of all the books I think everyone should read. My goal is to reach 100 books, and possibly make the list into a book, at which point, I will add the title of the book to the list, ostensibly making it 101 books I think everyone should read. If there is a book you think should go on here that isn't here, comment with the title and author, or send me an e-mail. Books will not be put on the list if they have no underlying message or theme (such as Moby Dick, whose theme is obsession.) Also, please don't just send titles of books just because you like them. If that was all that was needed for inclusion, then I'd have a list of 1001 books I really, really love.

But that's enough of my idiosyncratic jabber. Without further ado, I give you: 100 (& 1) Books I Think Everyone Should Read! (cut off at 32).

1. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
2. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
3. 1984 by George Orwell
4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
5. The Bible by God
6. The Torah by Yahweh
7. The Koran by Allah
8. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
9. As You Like It by William Shakespeare
10. All’s Well That Ends Well by William Shakespeare
11. The Killing Joke by Alan Moore, Brian Bolland and John Higgins
12. Infinite Crisis by Geoff Johns and Phil Jimenez
13. Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
14. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
15. The Alchemist by Paolo Coehlo
16. Everything Bad is Good for You by Steven Johnson
17. Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
18. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
19. Webster’s Dictionary
20. Roget’s Thesaurus
21. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
22. Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler
23. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
24. War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
25. The Last Safe Place on Earth
26. A Tale of Two Cities Charles Dickens
27. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
28. Dante’s Inferno by Dante
29. Your Computer Manual by Your Computer Company
30. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
31. White Fang by Jack London
32. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

No comments: